Saturday, December 15, 2007

(I wrote this twice, last night. Each time sent into oblivion. Ever seen the part of Little Women where Jo goes after Amy for burning her manuscript?? That was me with computer...finally I just went to bed and read Tony Dungy's book. Much more peaceful.)

Anyway, what I said was that the other night I threw aside any thoughts of conservation and drove my SUV out to the barn to feed the late night hay. Handyman was out of town, AGAIN, and that means cold bed, cold feet and no comforting snoring unless you accept canine/feline. Also, it was windy and I hate wind in the winter. So, I decided I'd just hitch up the old Expedition and drive myself out there rather than walk. It's only 100 yards, but dark and cold is dark and cold when you're by your lonesome. Take that Algore.

Then to kick the decadence meter up a notch, I came in, cranked up the world wide web and ordered a small animal heat pad for my old rooster to sit on! You may remember that I have this old charity case rooster who came to me with no toes (frostbite) due to some idiot's negligence. Anyway, I admire his perkiness and gentleness and yes, I do what I can to give him special treatment. Well, last summer he got run out of the hen house by the little banty rooster that we hatched from the eggs that came through the mail (another story). So "John", named after Sir John Middleton from Sense & Sensibility, moved over to the horse barn. He nests under this plywood at night. I was able to convince Handyman to put up a windbreak for him in the late fall, since the wall is not completed there. But still, he's sitting on the cold ground.

On Super Bowl Sunday last year, I brought him into the bathroom that we don't use off our kitchen and started keeping him in the shower stall there at night. I would really like to not do that this winter. The early morning crowing and the smell are a little much, even for us. So, I found a little heating pad for small animals that only heats up to 102 (their body temp), when they are sitting on it. So, rather than get myself something purty, I ordered it for this old rooster, with no toes and one eye that stays dialated. He drinks water when I hold it for him. He crows when I carry him out to the barn in the morning, while I am carrying him and he comes when he hears my voice. What's a girl to do?

I guess I am truly rich.

The two versions I wrote last night were better. Sorry.

Post A Comment!Send to a Friend!
Comments
Dec. 15, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by HeartnSoul (63.237.209.162)
Aww what a pampered rooster :) That is so funny - no lace Mrs. Bennet LOL. Thanks for stopping by :) Denise aka /CuriousCat
Permanent Link • Edit • Delete
Dec. 15, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by blessedwith2angels (64.136.27.226)
That is so sweet to buy your rooster a heating pad. It actually sounds like something we would do--but my son's rooster stays nice and warm in a fancy chicken house on my father-in-law's farm. Pam
Permanent Link • Edit • Delete
Dec. 17, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Jessica (207.32.9.245)
Still, a good version... Our rooster is lucky he gets to sleep inside. We weren't even supposed to have a rooster, and my husband isn't too keen on the crowing, but I like the strutting... Found you via Pioneer Woman www.farmfreshiowa.blogspot.com
Permanent Link • Edit • Delete
Dec. 18, 2007 - hi
Posted by midwifeliz (70.231.130.228)
Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I love the tales about the rooster. Merry Christmas!
Permanent Link • Edit • Delete

No comments: